"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
Are you the type of person who gets nervous when they have to make a big purchase? Well, buying furniture is certainly a decision that you want to make wisely since you will be living with it (literally!) for many years to come. However, there is no need to be nervous when it comes to buying furniture. Your furniture buying experience should be fun. Why? Because the process is all about you and what you want the end product to look like. Furniture buying allows you to be creative and pick the fabrics or the colors that you wish to have in your home.
We have come up with 6 questions that we suggest you ask yourself before you begin your furniture buying experience. Asking yourself these questions and writing the answers down on paper will not only help you during the process but it will also help the design consultant know exactly what you are looking for.
1. How much space do I have to work with? Space is key and the measurements are important. The space you have to work with determines the scale and number of pieces you can purchase to complete your room. Bringing your measurements with you when you go to a furniture store will help the design consultant show you pieces that would fit in your room perfectly. If you are only purchasing a new chair to go in your living room, you want to know how much space you have between the wall and your sofa so that you don’t overcrowd your living room.
2. Who is going to be using it? If you are purchasing a new bed for your personal bedroom and you have no one else to worry about, go ahead and pick out whatever you want! However, most people buy furniture with other people in mind. Is your significant other super tall? Getting a smaller sofa would not be the right choice. Do you have pets? Getting a low durability upholstered fabric would not be a good choice either. Keep your family and friends in mind. If you have a large family, go with a large dining room set to fit everyone comfortably.
3. What do I want it to look like? Your favorite colors tend to make you the most comfortable and happy. Neutral colors will work well with any room, no matter what color the walls are painted. If you are obsessed with a certain fabric but don’t think it will look well on a sofa, use it for the pillow fabric! There is a lot of flexibility when it comes to the look of a furniture piece. Nowadays, you can order a lot of pieces in different colors or fabrics.
4. How long am I going to use it? This is a question you want to ask your whole family. Are you going to be using it for a few years or is the furniture piece going to stay in your family for a long time? If you are looking to keep your new furniture piece for many years, go with solid wood for dining and bedroom sets and strong fabrics for upholstery. If you are going to make an investment on a great quality piece of furniture, make it worth it and choose something you will be happy with for a long time.
5. What is my budget? For most furniture stores, the prices vary and there will be something the falls into every customer’s budget. If you are on a tighter budget, shop around and wait for a sale to happen. If price is not a problem for you, make sure you are investing in good quality furniture. Most furniture stores have great financing opportunities available to their customers.
6. What do I do if I need help? If you need help, design consultants are only a call/text/email away! The best thing about our design consultants is that they are educated and they really know what they are talking about. They have the customers’ best interest in mind and always keep that ahead of anything else. If you need design help, we also have a store stylist that can answer your questions and give you a few tips before you get started. Still not convinced? We also provide in home design consultation where one of our design consultants will come out to your house to help!