According to the United States Census Bureau, in 2010 there were over 10 percent of Americans who were clocking in from home at least once a week. Creating a productive and stylish home office will take a lot of careful planning. As a business person, you want the end result of your home office to be efficient and neat. Your home office is a place for you to step away from your busy home and get your work done. Home office furniture is essential to the room, especially when it comes to creating a relaxed yet productive vibe in your home office.
How can you create a productive and stylish home office? Let us help you. Check out the tips we have outlined below.
1. Measure your room before you buy. You should measure every room before you start to furnish and/or design it. For a home office, measuring the space is even more essential. You will need to measure the distance between the outlets so that your furniture pieces are not blocking the power source. Don’t forget to measure the distance between your windows so that you are not blocking any of the natural light. If you are unsure how to measure your room, click here to view our “How to Properly Measure Your Room” blog.
2. Think of what you are going to need. Is your home office going to be a room for your desk and chair? Or are you planning on incorporating a library into the space also. Would you like a sofa to read or brainstorm on? Will you be entertaining clients in your home office? These are the types of questions you need to ask yourself before you start your home office project. Have an idea where you want to put things before you start your buying process.
3. Purchase office furniture that compliments the style of your home. Home offices are becoming more and more accessible to the entire home and family. This means that many families use their home offices for their job during the day, but also a study/homework room for their children at night. If your home is more of a modern style, try to use other modern pieces in your home office. If you like the more traditional look for your office, mix it in with other modern pieces to create a continuous flow with the rest of your home.
4. Make sure that the office furniture you pick out works well with the size of your room. This is why it is essential that we measure the room before purchasing furniture pieces. If you have a tight space to work with, go with a smaller desk and shelving. If you have a lot of room to work with, choose furniture pieces that are larger and take up more space. Think about what you are going to need on a daily basis. Your computer, your printer, your printer paper. Store these items nearby so that they are an arm’s length away from you at all times.
5. Purchase a comfortable chair. If you are going to be sitting at a desk doing work for a long period of time each day, the least you can do is make yourself comfortable. Purchase a desk chair that supports your lower back so you can sit more comfortably and be more productive.
6. Take advantage of the natural light. If your room has a lot of natural light, open up your curtains and enjoy the sunshine. The light will brighten up your room and your mood while you are working. If you don’t have the privilege of natural light, an accent lamp can also brighten your room. Choose something that is functional but also bright and patterned. This will create a more relaxed atmosphere in your office space.
7. Include accent pieces that express your personality. Don’t want a bright and patterned desk lamp? Choose a natural colored accent lamp but include some other elaborate accent pieces in your home office. Display pictures of your family. Hang up a mirror or two. You will be spending a decent amount of time in your home office so you might as well make it comfortable and inviting.
Are you planning on creating an office space in your home? Our design consultants are always available to give you advice and inspiration! You can also schedule a FREE in home design consultation with one of our educated design consultations. For more information, click the button below.