Measuring the space that you are going to design is the first step of the furniture buying process. You don’t want to buy a new piece of furniture and then find out it doesn't fit into your home when it is delivered. Check out these tips that will guide you in the right direction when it is time for you to measure your space!
- Make sure your measuring tape is long enough. 25 feet is a good length but 50 feet would be better if you have a large area. The best way to measure is to have two people hold the tape at both ends so that the tape can lay straight.
- Measure the height and width of each wall in your room.
- Measure from the corners of the room to confirm that the room is square. If the room has angles, it will be easier for you to draw it out on paper.
- Measure your windows and doors. Measure how high the windows are from the floor. This will be helpful if you want to position a sofa or table below the window.
- Mark where your electrical outlets are.
- Using a stud finder, locate the wall studs in your room. This will be extremely important if you are going to hang wall accents for decoration.
You don’t have to complete all of the tasks mentioned above but they will definitely help you out when it is time to purchase new furniture. If you bring your measurements in, a design consultant will be able to draw up your room and suggest pieces that will fit into your space nicely.
If you would like additional help when it comes to measuring your room properly, make an appointment with a design consultant for our FREE in home design consultation.